Wednesday, June 10, 2009



As I'm writing this post, a box of half-eaten bonbons lies next to me on the couch. I've just woken up at the leisurely hour of noon, and now I'm just scrolling through HBO On Demand trying to find a movie to watch to occupy my time, since I have nothing to do all day but sit around on the couch. Later on, I think I'll go get a manicure and pedicure, maybe do a little shopping...since I don't work, what else do I have to do? Isn't life great? 

Reality: As I'm writing this post, a half-empty (or full? eh?) cup of coffee sits next to me (maybe the only substance I will ingest until lunch, as, quite simply, I often forget to eat...who would have thought that was possible?) on the coffee table (that needs polishing), I've just woken up at the leisurely hour of 7:30 (only because I was too tired from waking up at 3:55 to tend to BB--usually, I rise and shine at 6:50 on the dot), and the TV will likely not be turned on today, like most days around here. A manicure and pedicure are the stuff of dreams now--I attempted to paint my own nails last Friday, only to be interrupted by a waking BB, who was begging to be rescued from his crib. Most of them got ruined. I still haven't taken the polish off. Oh, and shopping? Please. The only person for whom I buy anything these days is BB. 

Why is it that stay-at-home moms are perceived as lazy, spoiled women who have nothing to do all day but lounge on the couch? The painters of this image are missing one important piece of the puzzle when crafting their ludicrous stereotype: the word "mom." I'll admit, I used to be one of those people who thought to myself, "What does she do all day?" about the non-working mothers of my elementary school friends. However, now that I'm a mom myself, I totally get it, and I feel guilty for ever even thinking those thoughts. I've got a better description for what I (and countless other women) do: stay-at-home nurse, chef, housekeeper, watchdog, organizer, and chauffeur...am I missing anything?

You might be wondering what has prompted this rant. Yesterday, while getting a 5-months-coming haircut (sans BB, as his wonderful grandmother was watching him), I was making the usual chitchat with the stylist (whom I was seeing for the first time, which is always a little awkward in itself) while she washed my hair with shampoo that made me want to eat my own fist, it smelled so good. Our conversation went a little somethin' somethin' like this:

Me (nonchalant): Yeah, BB grows so fast and it seems like he's doing something new every day. I'm so glad I get to see it all.
Stylist (feigning innocence): So do you get to stay home with him very much?
Me (dropping the bomb): Yes, I'm home with him all the time.
Stylist (with a hint of bitterness): That must be nice. To not have to work.
Me (awkward and bumbling): Yeah, well you know, I've been trying to get a job, but nobody gets back with me, something about the economy, okay please stop judging me and just wash my hair...

Now, I'm sure she meant no offense, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I only wish I had retorted with something like, "Yeah, keeping a tiny human alive is a piece of cake! Listening to him scream for hours when he should be taking a nap is a breeze! Waking up at all hours of the night--who DOESN'T want to do that? I mean, come on!" Instead, I was gracious and felt the need to defend myself by describing my futile "real job" hunt. Now, I'm not saying that staying at home with BB isn't totally wonderful--it is more wonderful than I could ever have imagined. But that does not mean it is easy. If a mother stays at home, she is often in charge not only of caring for her child(ren), but also of doing the grocery shopping, cooking and planning the family's meals, keeping the house tidy, keeping everyone (pets included) on schedule with appointments, and various other responsibilities. I know that some "real" jobs are much more challenging in some aspects; however, for those jobs, the workday ends when it ends--a mother's workday is never over (this is also true for working moms, who often take on the responsibility of a full-time job(s) plus the majority of household tasks; in effect, they are working two--or more--jobs). I'm on call 24/7/365, and I love it. I know how fortunate I am to be able to spend this precious time with BB, and I appreciate my wonderful husband so much for working so hard and allowing me to do this. As for the "real job" hunt, I'm still working on that. But for now, I've got a couple of new mottos: "Staying home with a screeching infant--it ain't easy!" or perhaps, "Motherhood--don't knock it 'till you've tried it." 


2 comments:

  1. Remember what I said Margs, just love and be proud. And pity those who don't understand the importance of motherhood. I'm so proud of you for putting Becks first - eh, you heard all this in my email already. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with you. whenever people ask me where i work, i say i babysit...to which they say, "so you don't have a real job?" that irks me so much. being responsible for someone else's life that doesn't even belong to you? that's a huge job. people really think i sit on the couch eating junk food while the kids play quietly in the corner. not the case. so i totally agree with you...and i know that you have the harder job!

    ReplyDelete